Tuesday, 27 July 2010

9th July 2010 - In which I get a bit soppy

Finally! We are finally here after a bloody 7 hours and 50 minutes. I'm writing this at my grandparent's flat and trying to remember anything of import that's happened since I last wrote... nope, nada. Well, this is a bit of a bittersweet time as it's probably the last time I'll be in Nairobi in this flat. See, my grandparent's have slowly been moving into their youngest son's house here in England. So the apartment is pretty bare as pretty much everything, furniture wise, that I know is gone.
This place has so many memories! I remember trying to climb the window bars; they seemed huge at the time. Now I'm about 3/4 their size and trying to stop my cousins from climbing up them.
And, oddly enough, the toilets in the hall. They used to freak me out when I was younger. 'Why?' I hear you cry. Coz I had just watched Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and I was terrified that I'd run into a troll...

Now, have any of you had a 'bucket bath'? Water gets EVERYWHERE. Or is that just me? Anyway, it's basically a shower using a bucket. Simple. Only, my sister and I used to be small enough to fit completely in the buckets. Fun times...
Wow, I'm gonna miss this place...

Yay! We're going to the Village Market! I love markets; all the haggling and colours and haggling and people and haggling and just the sheer amount of STUFF. If one stall isn't selling something, you can safely bet that another will be. The same also applies if a stall is selling something. :P

The Village Market is at the shopping centre every Friday, so its a nice thing to look forward to. But there's a Maasai Market near the supermarket which is full of alleyways and is even more amazing, in my opinion. But I digress. We don't tend to buy a lot at the Village Market but as this may be the last time we're here, we did some spending. Just to clue you up, 100 Ksh = £1 roughly. I ended up with this gorgeous dust cover for notebooks. Unfortunately, the one I'm using to write this in is too big to fit. :(


So, now we're waiting to go back to my uncle's (the one who's daughter is getting married or TOWDIGM for short now) apartment roof for dinner. I'm hungry...

10:30pm - I'm on Kenya time now. We just went to visit an aunt to get kitted out for various wedding things. THEN... there was this humongous power cut. For something like two hours or so, there was no power whatsoever. So we used candles for light. :) And ate by candlelight. One of the candles had a paper rim and may have caught fire and was burning merrily away. I think it was tissue paper. You know how tissue paper is mega thin and all? Well, it was burning quite fast and the flame was slightly coloured and it was very prettyful.

We also got a visit from (yet another) of my cousins. She turned 1 two days ago and is absolutely adorable!


Well, it's now 10:35, and I've been awake since 4am UK time and I am absolutely shattered. Gonna go get ready and sorted for bed. Good night! Oh, and yay; my American cousins and the rest of my cousins are coming tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you.