Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Last night was prom and today is the summer solstice. How 'bout that?

I was one of the people going to prom who thought it really wasn't going to be worth it and, as is usually the case, I was wrong. I think people might be getting a bit sick of hearing me talk about prom... oh well, after today methinks I'll be tired of talking about it.

Anyway, I went 'round a friend's house to get ready (spent most of that time watching Dostana and playing on the Wii, shh) i.e. get hair done (it was pretty, but kinda painful at the time because there were French plaits involved), make up (minimal. I don't wear make up. Like ever), and sort out dresses etc. Mine was (was? Still is...) this blue strapless affair which I was afraid was going to be a bit (hah, understatement) of a problem seeing as I am extremely lacking in the chest region and it didn't look like I was about to magically grow slightly larger mammaries in an hour. The problem with the dress was that it stayed up all right, but if I was going to be dancing around, there was a risk that it would fall, a situation that I would really rather avoid. Thankfully, my friend's mum is a lifesaver and had this sort of double sided tape for dresses and those unfortunates with a small chest. I went to prom with my dress glued to my body. And I shall never get tired of telling people that little bit of information because it's just way too funny.
Looks like it worked!

Now, prom itself. THERE WAS A CANDY BUFFET. A CANDY BUFFET. So, naturally, my clutch bag was filled with as many sweets as possible. Well, how else was I going to survive the evening on about four hours of sleep?
Anyway, pretty much the first thing we all did was squeal (very loudly) at what everyone was wearing etc. I have never felt so ridiculously girly in a long time. And then my friend and I legged it as fast as is humanly possible to leg it in heels to the candy buffet to drool for a bit.
We had a professional photographer there who was incredibly patient with us all (I honestly do now know how they managed to keep so calm). We each were allowed one free photo and any others after that cost something like 10 squids and up. Surprisingly, there wasn't that huge a queue for the photos...
Time passed, dances were danced, feet started aching horribly, people started taking shoes off. I had intended to go the whole night with my shoes on, just out of sheer determination but I soon realised that this would be akin to leaping through a bonfire while covered in oil and expecting to come out the other side completely fine. So the shoes were discarded eventually and we ended up dancing around outside on the wet grass. Important tip: If you have sore feet from wearing dastardly evil heels, take 'em off and go dance around in wet grass. Then go back to dancing barefoot inside.

So, yeah... my prom in a nutshell. Everyone looked absolutely gorgeous and it was a magical night, as cheesy as that sounds.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good time.
    You look gorgeous, btw
    Also, I've never worn strapless before, due to the same problem that you have. I will now be buying that tape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look pretty :D

    At Jewish events involving dancing, everyone brings fuzzy socks to put on when they dancing kicks up, 'specially at bar-mitzvahs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never wear strapless, for the same reason. I have some of that tape, which I embarrassingly needed in 8th grade to hold up a spaghetti strap - yes, its true - dress.

    ReplyDelete

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you.